Clinical Observerships in University of Washington Medicine
OCHIS Insight: University of Washington Medicine is located at Seattle, including University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC) and Harborview Medical Center (HMC). UWMC is one of the nation's leading academic medical centers, which ranks among top 10 in the US best hospitals in multiple areas such as rehabilitation, cancer, diabetes and endocrinology. Many Chinese physicians come here for clinical research. It is worth noting that 1) there is no fee for observation, that 2) the time period is flexible, and that 3) observers can be with multiple providers. So it is also a good choice for visiting scholars to apply for observation program. This article not only summarized the observation program in both UWMC and HMC, but also recommended several leading medical research labs for visiting scholars.
International Observation Program
Clinical Observations at UWMC
Introduction： Observable medical staff at UWMC includes: Physicians, Dentists, Psychologists, ARNPs, RNs, CNMs, CRNAs, Microbiologists and other PhD level Laboratory personnel, Optometrists, Pharmacists, PAs, and Podiatrists.
- Observers are required to comply with all UWMC Immunization Policies and Procedures.
- It is the observer’s responsibility to identify a provider to host them.
- Application forms should be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the observer's start date.
Fees： There is no fee for observing.
How to apply:
- Fill out the application.
- Sign the agreements on page two and three of the application.
- Applications without a signature in the “Clinical Staff Sponsor” sections of the form will NOT be processed or approved.
- If the observer will be shadowing multiple providers within the same department or clinic, please write the additional names the space provided on page four of the form.
- If the observer will be with more than three departments or clinics, an additional copy of page four with the provider’s information and signature of approval is required.
- Type a letter of intent on page five of the application.
- Attach your immunization history, as outlined on page six of the application.
- Applications without documentation of TB screening will not be approved. The PPD must have been placed within one year prior to the desired observation start date.
- Applications with incomplete immunization histories will not be approved.
- Scan the completed application, save it as a pdf, and email it to the Medical Director's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Medical Director's approval and signature.
- Call 206-598-4848 to make an appointment with UWMC Employee Health to review your vaccination history. They are open Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm.
- Allow 2 weeks for processing. Applications submitted less than two weeks from the observation start date may not be processed and approved in time.
- How to applay: http://www.uwmedicine.org/uw-medical-center/observership
- Application form: http://www.uwmedicine.org/uw-medical-center/Documents/Application-and-Ag...
Clinical Observations at Harborview Medical Center
Harborview Medical Center, located on Seattle's First Hill, is a public hospital in King County, Washington and is managed by UW Medicine.
Observation Privileges should be requested for visiting medical personnel who wish to observe medical staff in clinical or research settings. No patient care or "hands on" medical training will be conducted. There will be no compensation provided by Harborview Medical Center (HMC). The observer or sponsoring provider/department is responsible for arranging visas, travel and/or accommodations.
All applicants must have a minimum of the following immunizations:
- Seasonal flu shot is required during the active season (October - April)
- TB test (PPD)
Application forms should be submitted 2 - 3 weeks prior to the observer's start date
- It is the observer's responsibility to identify a medical staff host. Observational privileges will not be granted without the agreement of a HMC provider to take full responsibility for the observer's time on campus.
Fees： There will be no compensation provided by Harborview Medical Center (HMC).
How to apply:
Complete all areas in the “Observer Information” section. Forms without the applicant’s signature will not be reviewed or approved.
Page 3 must be completed by the supervising physician. He or she must clearly indicate if the observer will be in their presence at all times while at HMC.
- If the observer is shadowing multiple providers within the same department/unit, please write the additional names next to item “B” in the “Supervising Medical Staff Attestation” section.
- For medical professional: Observation periods longer than 30 calendar days require the approval of a Department’s Chief of Service
- For pre-med or undergraduate students: Observation periods longer than 3 calendar days require the approval of a Department’s Chief of Service.
- Observer must complete all areas of the Immunization and Health History Intake Form.
- Applicants do not need to fill information about a specific immunization if a copy of their records is attached.
- Forms without information or documentation of the applicant’s most recent influenza vaccine or TB screening (PPD) will not be reviewed. The PPD must have been placed within one year prior to start of the observation period.
- Contact HMC Employee Health if you have specific questions: (206) 744-3081
- Scan and email or fax the completed form to the Medical Director’s Office at email@example.com / (fax) 206.744.4422. Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing.
- Information: http://www.uwmedicine.org/harborview/Pages/observation-request.aspx
- Application form: http://www.uwmedicine.org/harborview/Documents/Observational-Form.pdf
Research Labs and Oppurtunities
- Research interest：Clinical Atherosclerosis Research
David A. Dichek
- Research interest：To discover the mechanisms that cause vascular disease and to translate these discoveries into novel therapies that prevent or reverse vascular disease.
- Research interest：Intraluminal MR imaging and interventions; MRI-tracking of stem cells in different diseases; imaging of gene therapy; interventional molecular imaging.
- Recommendation reason: Dr. Xiaoming Yang's lab accepts doctors as visiting scholars to do intervention research mainly focused on tumor therapy.
- Research interest：Magnetic resonance imaging, Multi modal imaging techniques, Vulnerable carotid plaque, High risk plaque, Intraplaque hemorrhage, Atherosclerosis, Stroke, Coronary events, Cardiovascular disease.
- Recommendation reason:Dr. Chun Yuan's lab is one of the pioneers in characterizing atherosclerosis using magnetic resonance imaging. They accept doctors, especially radiologists, interested in atherosclerosis imaging and character analysis.